The Anchorage Alaska Bed and Breakfast Association's “Going Green” lodging program is an entry level program aimed at motivating member bed and breakfast inns to take actions that will soften our impact on, and preserve the pristine beauty of, Anchorage and Alaska.
Our participating B&Bs strive to be environmentally friendly alternatives to typical hotel accommodations. We support good business practices that will permit and promote tourism and other commercial activities while striving to attain these significant reduce, recycle, reuse goals.
All participating members must adhere to at least three of these minimum areas of conservation. Some member properties exercise additional steps to expand their individual "Going Green" campaigns:
1) Lighting - At least 50% of interior medium based light bulbs must be compact fluorescent or other high efficiency types.
2) Recycle (House) - Recycle aluminum cans, plastics, glass, paper, and cardboard as accepted by the Municipal recycle program.
3) Recycle (Guest Participation) - Display in a prominent place a recycle receptacle that will encourage guest participation.
4) Laundry Conservation - Encourage guests to use bath and bed linens for multiple days.
5) Donate Useable Items - Donate short-end supplies and out of service linens, furniture, etc. for use within the community.
6) Members participate in Food Drives that are conducted periodically through the year that benefit the Anchorage community.
7) Additionally, many of our member inns purchase and serve Fair Trade Coffee, Tea and Chocolate.